Friday, July 23, 2010

A right to believe, a right to sing?

I'd like to start this post with the question, do I seem like a christian? I've met lots of people and whoever meets me who's a christian immediately thinks I am one. I met a lady walking down the street who heard me singing and asked me if I was a christian. I then told her I wasn't and she went on for a good 20 minutes about how she had seen a vision of god telling her that she was suposted to say and live in autralia and not go back to the country she came from. There was also another man I met while walking home who's a christian, who thought I was a christian. He also liked hearing me sing. It's all very strange.

Is there a certain way christians act? Is it because I'm sure of myself and I like to sing loudly and proudly? I guess it must be something about me.....

Anyway, now for some more current stuff:

As many of you who know me well two things I loving doing is singing and thinking about religions. However, tonight (soon to be yesterday as I am typing this at midnight) the two seemed to collide as I was told at youth group something interesting. This is the gist of what one of the leaders said:

"I really like your singing and the fact that you sing loudly and sing harmonies is really nice. So much so you look like you are praising god. Do you have a spiritual connection with him? If you don't it seems strange and a shame that you can sing like christians are supposed to sing and yet you don't do it for the same reasons everyone else does"

So he basically told me that I shouldn't sing christian songs just because I like singing them, but rather because I should sing them for the love of god. (Not the love of music). This is why I've asked to be in the band and they've denied it.

I know you are all probably wondering "we'll you go to a youth group and yet your agnostic, so you should expect this kinda stuff", which is true in a sense. However this did touch a little bit of a nerve.

There were several problems I had with this remark (however I respected his point of view so I didn't bring it up until it was suitable):

1. If you are telling me to be a christian, are you respecting me for being who I am? Isn't part of who I am, what I believe? (he didn't believe that what you believe is part of who you are)
2. What/how am I supposed to do in response to this statement that will make you happy except become a christian? (I'm not ready to choose any particular religion yet, and doubt I'll choose one for a very long time)
3. Why do you want me to become a christian? If you are really doing it for my welfare, what's it gonna give me?

And not to mention, what do I ask myself?
Why not become a christian?
If this is their attitude, do I want to hang around them anymore?
Why are they asking me this?
Though, don't I feel a spiritual connection with something when I sing? if not, why is it so liberating?
Do christians songs really have to be sung because they are praising god, or can they just be sung for the fun of singing?

I guess my final conclusions are that I still respect this guy for voicing his point of view. I think to him, what he was doing was what he thought was what god wanted. Not to mention, you shouldn't get offended when a christian tells you to believe in god and christ as christians believe they are helping you towards god's gift of everlasting life. This doesn't stop them from seeming spiritually arrogant, but that's not their intension. I'm not ready to decide on any specific religion in my life as I don't have a need or a feel for any particular one at the moment. I'm happy with my little knowing, yet strong feeling self. I may not know the truth, but I know what I think could be the truth, and that's as close as I need for now.

In the meanwhile I'll just continue being myself and pondering the universe. I like singing because it makes me feel good. Whether or not it is to do with god, only god knows....

I just like being me and I don't want to change my beliefs or actions due to something I'm not even sure completely exists.

It's getting really late, so I'll leave you all, but I'll probably talk more on this later.

Sincerely, Jonathan Calleja

3 comments:

  1. Eep religion. So much confusion. It's actually kind of like vegetarianism, in that some people can feel morally superior and attempt to convert everyone, and some vegetarians are just chill. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. XD I have a book of random etiquette stuffs. Topic not to talk about: health, sex, politics, money and religion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^ *because it'll make your afterlife better.

    ReplyDelete